The Challenge

I am going to spend the next 30 days feeding my family of 5 using only the food I have in my pantry and freezer right now! Check in to see what creative recipes and tips I come up with! And maybe you'll be inspired to make a little Middle Class Magic of your own!

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Happy Birthday Dannyboy!

Today is my Danny's 13th birthday!  He is my sweet, funny, hardworking middle child.  I know it is so cliche, but it really does blow my mind how fast time flies!  It seems like just yesterday that we were driving down the highway, on the way to daycare, and he looked up at me through his little balled fists and said  "Mommy, dat sunshine is boddering me!"  I asked him a few days ago what kind of cake he wanted for his birthday.  He thought a while and decided he wanted a double batch of fudge crinkle cookies.  You know, it's those chocolate cookies that are rolled in powdered sugar before they are baked and come out all crinkly looking?  I made them a few weeks ago from a chocolate cake mix and they turned out awesome.  Here is the basic formula:

1  cake mix, any flavor
1/2 cup of oil
2 eggs

Mix together, drop by rounded tablespoons onto a cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes in a 350 degree oven.  There are a lot of great combinations you can make....lemon........ yellow cake mix with chocolate chips....... spice cake with cream cheese glaze...........

For the chocolate crinkles, use a chocolate or devils food cake mix.  Roll the dough into balls and let them sit and dry out for about 10 minutes (this keeps the powdered sugar from soaking in too much).  Coat each ball really well in powdered sugar.  Bake according the the recipe above.

These are so fudgy and rich.  They are so easy and definitely worth the time to make!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sooo going to make this! And I love your 'use everything from the pantry' idea...something I could do a little more of too!

    ReplyDelete