The Challenge

I am going to spend the next 30 days feeding my family of 5 using only the food I have in my pantry and freezer right now! Check in to see what creative recipes and tips I come up with! And maybe you'll be inspired to make a little Middle Class Magic of your own!

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Entertaining the 'Rents

My mom and dad are in until Wednesday to watch the kids play football and volleyball.  I did have to buy a few "company" groceries, I'm sorry to say, but I did write a small list of only things I had to have.  The list was MUCH smaller than I'd usually buy for company because I made sure I used what I have at home, instead of double buying.  So, this morning for breakfast I made this "coffeecake" (Okay, it's not really a coffeecake, it's really a dessert, but I thought it would be good for breakfast).  Here it is:

Sopapilla Cheesecake Pie
2 (8oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 (8oz.) pkgs. refrigerated crescent rolls
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup honey

Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Beat the cream cheese with 1 cup of sugar and the vanilla extract in a bowl until smooth. Unroll one can of crescent roll dough, and press it into the bottom of your dish until there are no seems. Evenly spread the cream cheese mixture into the baking dish, then cover with the remaining piece of crescent dough, lightly pressing seems together. Stir together 3/4 cup of sugar and cinnamon, and set aside. Melt your butter in the microwave. Pour the butter over the top of the cheesecake. Sprinkle your cinnamon and sugar mixture over the butter layer. Bake in the preheated oven until the crescent dough has puffed and turned golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and drizzle with honey. Cool completely in the pan before cutting into 12 squares.

* Then store leftovers in fridge and eat the next day cold! It keeps a crunchy crust - we love eating it this way even better!!!

OMGness........this is soooo good!

For dinner tonight, I'm making the yummiest, richest chicken spaghetti.  This recipe is from one of my best friends Melinda.  She is a great Southern Arkansas cook.  Here is Melinda's recipe:

CHICKEN SPAGHETTI
3 cups cooked chicken, chopped (Save the broth)
1 stick butter
1 bell pepper, chopped (can use red or green)
3-4 sticks celery, chopped
16 oz. package spaghetti
1 lb. Velveeta cheese
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can Rotel tomatoes / chilies
4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
Saute vegetables in butter until tender. Stir in chicken.
Cook spaghetti in reserved chicken broth – add water if necessary. When done, stir Velveeta and mushroom soup into spaghetti and broth.
Add sautéed vegetables, chicken, and Rotel. Simmer 30 minutes, or cover with foil and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes. Top with shredded cheese before serving.
 
 
***** If you have too much chicken broth after the spaghetti is done, pour some off and reserve it. After all ingredients are combined, you may need to add a little more liquid.

 This is a great recipe to make for a crowd.  Every time I make it I get tons of requests for the recipe.  It is also really good leftover the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment