The Challenge

I am going to spend the next 30 days feeding my family of 5 using only the food I have in my pantry and freezer right now! Check in to see what creative recipes and tips I come up with! And maybe you'll be inspired to make a little Middle Class Magic of your own!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Old Fashioned Favorite Made New and Easy!

Growing up in the South, we often had chicken and dumplings for special occasions.  Chicking and dumplings in the South are not the puffy, biscuit-like dumplings, but a thinner, rolled and cut dumpling.  I remember my grand-ma, "Nanny Turner" making them, and later my mom.  I picture the kitchen and their faces covered in flour.  They were sooo yummy, but a pretty big undertaking. 


My Nanny Turner and my mom (yes, my mom...even though it looks exactly like me!)

Well, I am about to share with you a modern-day version of southern chicken and dumplings that you can make in less than half an hour that will knock people's socks off!  I make these for my family often, but have also served them for company.

Easy Southern Chicken and Dumplings
Ingredients
Chicken (boiled, or from a grocery store rotissery)
Large can of cream of chicken soup
1 can chicken broth
8 fahita sized flour tortillas
salt and pepper


Boil your chicken.  It doesn't matter if it's breasts or other pieces.  Just boil it, cool it and tear it from the bone.  Or, buy a rotissery chicken and tear it from the bone.  If you boiled your chicken, skim the guck off the top, add the cream of chicken soup and the broth and return it to a boil.  If you didn't boil the chicken, then mix the cream of chicken soup with 1 can of water and the broth and bring to a boil.  Cut the tortillas into large squares.  I usually cut them into 3 strips, then into thirds (9 dumplings/tortilla).  After the soup is at a rolling boil, add a single layer of tortilla dumplings, salt and pepper the entire layer then stir.  Each time, when  soup returns to a boil, repeat tortilla layering and seasoning until all the tortilla piecses are used.  It is essential that you taste the broth frequently so that you get it seasoned enough, but not too much.  After all the tortilla dumplings are incorporated, return the chicken to the pot and simmer for 10 minutes or so.  I like to serve with some quick cornbread muffins, but Bob likes to eat his with saltine crackers.  You will NOT be sorry if you make these, and no one will know that you haven't slaved all day preparing them!! 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds amazing. Loved your chicken and noodles. I hope you don't mind the shout out I gave you earlier in the week.

    ReplyDelete