The Challenge

I am going to spend the next 30 days feeding my family of 5 using only the food I have in my pantry and freezer right now! Check in to see what creative recipes and tips I come up with! And maybe you'll be inspired to make a little Middle Class Magic of your own!

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Saturday-Making 2 Desserts-With NO Shopping!

Tomorrow night is a fundraising party for our kids Catholic school.  I volunteered to make a couple of desserts a couple of weeks ago, before the big challenge was underway.  So....I want to make something easy to eat, while people are standing around socializing.  I also, of course, have to make something that I already have the ingredients for here at home.  Okay, so that's not really that difficult for me, as my pantry is always packed with all kinds of baking supplies........

 (Understand the challenge even better, now?)

                                              
I decided to go with an old stand-by and a new favorite.  First I made Gooey Butter Cake, only I made it in muffin tins, so that they were individual.  Here's that recipe

Ingredients
crust:
1Cake mix, yellow
1 egg
1 stick butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla

topping:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 egg
3 3/4 cups powdered sugar (1 box)
1 tsp. vanilla
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix crust ingredients until moistened and press into bottom of 9" x 13" pan.  (or press into 24 lightly greased muffin tins).  Mix topping ingredients well and pour over crust mixture.  Bake 40 minutes.  Topping should be set, but slightly jiggly in the middle. 

These are buttery and sweet.  Very Decadent!

                                    

Next, Ellie and I made cake pops.  These are yummy little bon bons of cake on a stick.  You bake a cake, following the directions on  the box, cool, crumble and mix with 3/4 of a can of frosting.  Roll into balls, chill and then dip in almond bark or candy melts.  I saw them on another of my favorite blogs http://www.bakerella.com/.  She even has a new cookbook out about all different kinds of cake pops.  Ellie loves looking at it, but we have yet to make any more complicated than these:
                                     


Roll the cake/frosting mixture into balls, then chill.


Dip in melted almond bark and sprinkle!!

They turned out really cute and are a total chocolate hit.  It felt really good to be able to make 2 cute, yummy desserts and not have to spend a penny! 


No comments:

Post a Comment