The Challenge

I am going to spend the next 30 days feeding my family of 5 using only the food I have in my pantry and freezer right now! Check in to see what creative recipes and tips I come up with! And maybe you'll be inspired to make a little Middle Class Magic of your own!

Friday, September 17, 2010

Day 4-Quick Crispy Taquitos

One of my favorite things to order in a Mexican restaurant is Flautas.  I love that they are appetizer-y, that you can dip them in guacamole, salsa and sour cream.  My kids like the ones from the freezer section, the skinny ones called taquitos.  The first time I made them at home, from scratch, they were good, but greasy and the house smelled like grease from having to fry them. 

Recently, while browsing one of my favorite food blogs http://www.ourbestbites.com/ I ran across a recipe for crispy BAKED taquitos.  I was skeptical.  I was sure they would be flavorful, as all their recipes are, but crispy?  Well, I made them and they were awesome--crispy, yummy, easy AND my house didn't smell like grease!  I usually use, in my middle class magic style, some kind of leftover meat in the middle of the taquitos.  This time I had pulled pork frozen from a couple of weeks ago when I slow roasted a pork butt in the oven.  We ate barbecue sandwiches for a couple of meals, then I froze the rest. 

Ingredients:
flour tortillas, fahita size
meat
taco seasoning
cheese
cooking spray
kosher salt

Warm your meat (ground beef, chicken, beef, pork, etc) and season with taco seasoning using the directions on the back of the packet.  Or season it however you'd like.  It doesn't really have to have anything but salt an pepper, these are so good.  Spread about 1/4 cup of meat down the center of the tortilla.  Sprinkle with cheese (I like to use that crumble white mexican cheese by cacique) and roll the tortilla up into a tube.  Lay the tortillas on a baking sheet, spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with kosher salt.  Bake at 350 degrees until crispy an lightly browned.  Serve with guacomole, sour cream and salsa!

These are soooo good and are even good microwaved the next day!  enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment