The Challenge

I am going to spend the next 30 days feeding my family of 5 using only the food I have in my pantry and freezer right now! Check in to see what creative recipes and tips I come up with! And maybe you'll be inspired to make a little Middle Class Magic of your own!

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Chief's Chili

Friday night and Saturday night were nights off from cooking for me, thanks to high school football Friday and college football Saturday!  Lucky me!  So today, it's professional football, namely our KC Chiefs, and I'm makin' chili!  My typical chili recipe is this:

1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 can chili beans
1 packet of chili seasoning.

Mix together in soup pot, simmer for half an hour and serve.


Today, I had everything I needed to make a double recipe, except I had no chili seasoning.  So, in true Middle Class Magic style, I found a recipe online for bulk chili seasoning.  Here it is:

2 T. chili powder,
1 tsp. salt,
1 T. seasoned salt,
1 tsp. onion powder,
2 tsp. cumin,
1/2 tsp. garlic powder,
1 tsp. oregano.   
Mix all ingredients; store in a small airtight jar in a cool, dry place. Makes about 1/4 cup.  Use 1 T. of mix in place of 1 seasoning packet.

 

 
I mixed it up, used 2 T. in my double recipe of chili, and voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment