The Challenge

I am going to spend the next 30 days feeding my family of 5 using only the food I have in my pantry and freezer right now! Check in to see what creative recipes and tips I come up with! And maybe you'll be inspired to make a little Middle Class Magic of your own!

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Wednesday Night-A real stretch--that worked!

Tonight R.F.M II (14 y/o son) has a football game and I have to work the concession stand, so we won't be home until after 8.  I ran home from work long enough to put this together.......it's a stretch, and I wasn't sure how it'd turn out, but by 9pm it was ALL GONE! 

I dug in the still-overflowing-pantry and pulled out 2 packets of Knorr seasoned rice.  I had 3 previously grilled boneless skinless chicken breasts in the freezer, so I partially defrosted them in the microwave really quickly.  I mixed the rice packets with the water and butter called for on the package, sliced up the chicken into fahita-sized pieces and put it all in the crock pot.  I turned it on low and ran out the door.  Fast-forward 3 hours, and........a home-cooked meal, that didn't cost me a penny! 

Now, I know some of what I prepare may not sound really healthy, but what I don't always share on Middle Class Magic, is that I always serve a veg and/or fruit along with whatever ghetto fabulous entree I put on the table.  The pre-packaged stuff does have a lot of sodium, so I wouldn't recommend doing it all the time.  But, in a pinch, like last night, they are invaluable!

I was reading over a post from last week and thought I'd go ahead and share with you my recipe for slow-roasted pork butt.  Now, I'm from the South, and in the South, we call this cut of meat a "butt".  Specifically, a Boston Butt.  Here in Kansas City, I see it called a pork shoulder roast more often.  It is usually around $1.99/lb and I try to by a 7-8 lb one, but, right now, --hot tip!!--it is only .99 cents/lb at Hyvee........so go stock up.  (Of course, I don't need to because I already have 2 in the freezer. )  Here's the simple, crowd-pleasing recipe:


Slow Roasted Pork Butt (Shoulder)
  1. Turn oven to 400 degrees
  2. Rub pork with seasoning (lawry’s, salt/pepper/garlic powder, barb-q rub, etc)
  3. Place in roasting pan and cover tightly with foil or lid.
  4. Place in oven and immediately turn oven down to 250 degrees.
  5. Bake for 45 minutes per pound or until the pork reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees,
 
I like to shred it with 2 forks for barb-q sandwiches for a couple of meals and then use the remaining meat for other recipes.  It also does well frozen.  YUM!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds wonderful, the butt that is. My in laws live in Georgia so we refer to it as "Butt" here at Green Acres too!

    ReplyDelete