The Challenge

I am going to spend the next 30 days feeding my family of 5 using only the food I have in my pantry and freezer right now! Check in to see what creative recipes and tips I come up with! And maybe you'll be inspired to make a little Middle Class Magic of your own!

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Thursday-Steak Night

Last night I actually remembered to take a big sirloin and a pack of ribeyes out of the freezer to thaw.  Really, that is one of my biggest hindrances to cooking each evening--I always forget to take something out to thaw!  I have learned to microwave defrost a lot of different meats, but not everything, and sometimes I just don't have that additional 20-30 minutes of defrost time.  Anyway, this morning I made a quick marinade out of 1/2 a bottle of italian salad dressing, a few shots of worcestershire sauce (or roostersour sauce, as my cousin Shannon calls it), and a small handful of brown sugar.  I put it all in a big ziploc bag, and let them sit in the fridge all day. 

When I got home, I made some quick mashed potatoes, salad, green beans and grilled the steaks.  The real middle class magic, though, took place when it came time to make some gravy for the mashed potatoes.  You see, Bob, doesn't believe in mashed potatoes without gravy, and pre-challenge, I probably would have run through the store and bought a jar of gravy or a gravy packet from the seasoning section. But since I'm not shopping, I was stalled for a minute as to what to do for gravy.  I didn't have any grease to make it from, like you would at breakfast with sausage or bacon, since I had cooked the steaks on the grill.  But I always have butter and flour, and any liquid will do.....so here's what  I did:  I melted 2 Tbs. butter in a skillet, then whisked in 1/4 cup of flour.  I cooked this roux over medium heat while I prepared the liquid part of my gravy.  What liquid you might ask?  Milk?  No.  Broth?  No.  I used a packet of onion soup mix!  I always have this on hand to make dip, or season a crock pot roast, but I'd never used it to make gravy before!  Anyway, I reconstituted it with 2 cups of hot water, then added it to my roux, whisking the whole time.  After all the lumps were gone, I turned the heat down and simmered it til it was thick.  It was so flavorful! 

I feel so good about this challenge I've given myself!  After just 2 weeks, I am almost $300 ahead in my checking account, just from not buying groceries that I don't need!  Would it be bad to spend some of that on shoes???


D.C.M's plate.....He was hungry after football practice!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment